Shutdown, official restrictions affect life in Srinagar
Srinagar: Authorities continued restrictions in Srinagar city and some other major towns of Kashmir Monday for the second consecutive day to prevent separatist protests.
Shops, private and public transport services remained closed in Srinagar and some other towns in Kashmir following restrictions imposed by the officials and the shutdown called by the separatists.
Separatist groups have called for a three-day protest shutdown till Tuesday to press for the return of mortal remains of Afzal Guru and Muhammad Maqbool Bhat, who were hanged in Tihar Jail Feb 9, 2013, and Feb 11, 1984, respectively.
They were subsequently buried in the jail compound.
All separatist leaders, including Muhammad Yasin Malik, Shabir Ahmad Shah and Muhammad Nayeem Khan have been taken into preventive custody by the police, while hardline separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani has been placed under house arrest.
"These are preventive measures taken to maintain law and order in the city and some other places in the valley", said a senior police officer here.
Sporadic incidents of protestors throwing stones at the security forces were witnessed Sunday at a few places in Ganderbal, Baramulla and Bandipora districts.
Police said the security forces exercised restraint while bringing the situation under control and nobody was injured in the clashes.
Meanwhile, Kashmir University has postponed all its exams scheduled for Monday and Tuesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam