Sikh body demands implementation of Minorities Act in J&K
Srinagar: A Sikh organisation in Jammu and Kashmir on Wednesday said it has decided to launch a peaceful agitation in support of its demands which includes extending the National Minorities Act to the state.
"We have decided to launch a peaceful agitation in the name of Jammu and Kashmir Sikh Dharam Yudh Morcha in support of our demands," chairman of the All Parties Sikh Coordination Committee (APSCC) Jagmohan Singh Raina told reporters here.
He said the main demand of the Sikh community is to extend the National Minorities Act in its present form and recruitment of Punjabi teachers in schools and colleges.
"We had several meetings with Chief Minister Omar Abdullah and former Law Minister Ali Mohammad Sagar in this regard. Despite assurances that these things will be done, nothing has happened so far," Raina claimed.
The Sikh leader said he failed to understand why the state government was not implementing the Act as there was no financial implication for it.
"All the funds under this act come from the Centre. The state government is only the implementing authority," he said.
Raina said if the present state government did not fulfil the demands of the Sikh community, it will not vote for the ruling coalition of National Conference and Congress in the forthcoming Assembly Elections next year.
"There are eight seats in Kashmir valley and 10 in Jammu division where Sikh votes are the deciding factor. If our demands are not met by this government, we will not vote for National Conference or Congress in the elections next year," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report