Sikh body demands minority status for the community in J&K
Srinagar: Hoping that the BJP-led NDA government will resolve the "pending issues" related to the Sikh residents of Jammu and Kashmir, an organisation representing the community here today said that the Centre should grant minority status to them.
"We hope that the NDA government will solve the pending issues of the Sikh community of Jammu and Kashmir and grant minority status to the community," Chairman of All Parties Sikh Coordination Committee Jagmohan Singh Raina said in a statement here.
"It is good that the new government has started taking steps to solve the problems of various communities living in the country. It must be kept in mind by decision-takers that members of the Sikh community have been fighting hard for their rights and their problems too need to be addressed at the earliest," he said.
"The Sikh community should be granted the status of a minority community since they very much fall under the provisions set out in this regard. The Minority Act as framed by the National Commission for Minorities should be extended to the state without any dilution whatsoever," he said.
"In case there is any dilution to the Minority Act, the members of the Sikh community will come out and lodge strong protests in support of their genuine demands...We will not desist from carrying out a full-fledged agitation," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday