Sikh body demands minority status for the community in J&K
Srinagar: Hoping that the BJP-led NDA government will resolve the "pending issues" related to the Sikh residents of Jammu and Kashmir, an organisation representing the community here today said that the Centre should grant minority status to them.
"We hope that the NDA government will solve the pending issues of the Sikh community of Jammu and Kashmir and grant minority status to the community," Chairman of All Parties Sikh Coordination Committee Jagmohan Singh Raina said in a statement here.
"It is good that the new government has started taking steps to solve the problems of various communities living in the country. It must be kept in mind by decision-takers that members of the Sikh community have been fighting hard for their rights and their problems too need to be addressed at the earliest," he said.
"The Sikh community should be granted the status of a minority community since they very much fall under the provisions set out in this regard. The Minority Act as framed by the National Commission for Minorities should be extended to the state without any dilution whatsoever," he said.
"In case there is any dilution to the Minority Act, the members of the Sikh community will come out and lodge strong protests in support of their genuine demands...We will not desist from carrying out a full-fledged agitation," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what