Sikh body demands minority status for the community in J&K
Srinagar: Hoping that the BJP-led NDA government will resolve the "pending issues" related to the Sikh residents of Jammu and Kashmir, an organisation representing the community here today said that the Centre should grant minority status to them.
"We hope that the NDA government will solve the pending issues of the Sikh community of Jammu and Kashmir and grant minority status to the community," Chairman of All Parties Sikh Coordination Committee Jagmohan Singh Raina said in a statement here.
"It is good that the new government has started taking steps to solve the problems of various communities living in the country. It must be kept in mind by decision-takers that members of the Sikh community have been fighting hard for their rights and their problems too need to be addressed at the earliest," he said.
"The Sikh community should be granted the status of a minority community since they very much fall under the provisions set out in this regard. The Minority Act as framed by the National Commission for Minorities should be extended to the state without any dilution whatsoever," he said.
"In case there is any dilution to the Minority Act, the members of the Sikh community will come out and lodge strong protests in support of their genuine demands...We will not desist from carrying out a full-fledged agitation," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000