Sikh protestors block Jammu-Pathankote NH
Jammu: Demanding arrest of those involved in the assault on a Sikh youth in Pulwama district of south Kashmir last week, community members on Monday held a demonstration and blocked the Jammu-Pathankote National Highway in Kathua district.
Over 300 people belonging to the Sikh community at Rajbagh, 75 kms from here, blocked the highway to protest the "failure" of the Omar Abdullah Government to arrest and punish culprits involved in the sacrilegious act on Wednesday last.
The protestors also burnt tyres and raised anti-police and anti-government slogans demanding arrest of the culprits and probe into the incident besides security deployment in and around the places inhabited by Sikhs in the Valley.
As result of the blockade of the highway, over 1000 vehicle were stranded.
Community leaders have warned that they would intensify their agitation if the government failed to take action against the elements responsible for hurting their
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah had promised a group of Sikh leaders that the culprits involved in the incident would be arrested soon and such incidents would not be allowed to reoccur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand