Sikh protestors block Jammu-Pathankote NH
Jammu: Demanding arrest of those involved in the assault on a Sikh youth in Pulwama district of south Kashmir last week, community members on Monday held a demonstration and blocked the Jammu-Pathankote National Highway in Kathua district.
Over 300 people belonging to the Sikh community at Rajbagh, 75 kms from here, blocked the highway to protest the "failure" of the Omar Abdullah Government to arrest and punish culprits involved in the sacrilegious act on Wednesday last.
The protestors also burnt tyres and raised anti-police and anti-government slogans demanding arrest of the culprits and probe into the incident besides security deployment in and around the places inhabited by Sikhs in the Valley.
As result of the blockade of the highway, over 1000 vehicle were stranded.
Community leaders have warned that they would intensify their agitation if the government failed to take action against the elements responsible for hurting their
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah had promised a group of Sikh leaders that the culprits involved in the incident would be arrested soon and such incidents would not be allowed to reoccur.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani