Sikh protestors block Jammu-Pathankote NH
Jammu: Demanding arrest of those involved in the assault on a Sikh youth in Pulwama district of south Kashmir last week, community members on Monday held a demonstration and blocked the Jammu-Pathankote National Highway in Kathua district.
Over 300 people belonging to the Sikh community at Rajbagh, 75 kms from here, blocked the highway to protest the "failure" of the Omar Abdullah Government to arrest and punish culprits involved in the sacrilegious act on Wednesday last.
The protestors also burnt tyres and raised anti-police and anti-government slogans demanding arrest of the culprits and probe into the incident besides security deployment in and around the places inhabited by Sikhs in the Valley.
As result of the blockade of the highway, over 1000 vehicle were stranded.
Community leaders have warned that they would intensify their agitation if the government failed to take action against the elements responsible for hurting their
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah had promised a group of Sikh leaders that the culprits involved in the incident would be arrested soon and such incidents would not be allowed to reoccur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees