Sikhs in J&K demand minority status
Jammu: Sikhs in Jammu and Kashmir have
demanded minority status for the socio-economic upliftment of
"We demand that the Sikh community should be given
minority status in Jammu and Kashmir for the upliftment of
their socio-economic conditions in the state," All Parties
Sikh Coordination Committee (APSCC) Chairman Jagmohan Singh
Raina told reporters here on Friday.
Sikhs being a microscopic community in Jammu and Kashmir
have to fight for minority status despite the fact that they
are considered as minority in India under Minority Act of
Minority Commission of India 2C of 1992, along with other
communities including Muslims, Buddhists and Christians, he
He lashed out at the state government for its "divide and
rule" policy against Sikhs since last few decades. "This is
done with the intention to delay and even deny the solution to
the problems faced by the community as a whole or demands it
has put before the successive government ever since the
Partition of the state".
The Government of India (GOI) has failed to discharge its
responsibility towards the residents of Jammu and Kashmir,
including Hindus, Muslims, Sikhs, Christians and other
communities who are victims of negligence and technicalities
pursued by those in power, he said.
He said it is the need of the hour that the Central
government should appoint a special committee to attend to and
resolve long-pending issues of refugees in a time-bound
schedule, he said adding that their sufferings must not be
allowed to go long-drawn-out or remain unattended.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls