Sikhs in J&K demand minority status
Jammu: Sikhs in Jammu and Kashmir have
demanded minority status for the socio-economic upliftment of
"We demand that the Sikh community should be given
minority status in Jammu and Kashmir for the upliftment of
their socio-economic conditions in the state," All Parties
Sikh Coordination Committee (APSCC) Chairman Jagmohan Singh
Raina told reporters here on Friday.
Sikhs being a microscopic community in Jammu and Kashmir
have to fight for minority status despite the fact that they
are considered as minority in India under Minority Act of
Minority Commission of India 2C of 1992, along with other
communities including Muslims, Buddhists and Christians, he
He lashed out at the state government for its "divide and
rule" policy against Sikhs since last few decades. "This is
done with the intention to delay and even deny the solution to
the problems faced by the community as a whole or demands it
has put before the successive government ever since the
Partition of the state".
The Government of India (GOI) has failed to discharge its
responsibility towards the residents of Jammu and Kashmir,
including Hindus, Muslims, Sikhs, Christians and other
communities who are victims of negligence and technicalities
pursued by those in power, he said.
He said it is the need of the hour that the Central
government should appoint a special committee to attend to and
resolve long-pending issues of refugees in a time-bound
schedule, he said adding that their sufferings must not be
allowed to go long-drawn-out or remain unattended.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi