Six Amarnath pilgrims die, toll rises to 78
Srinagar: Six pilgrims died on way to the Amarnath cave, even as the number of yatris who had `darshan` of the naturally formed ice-shivlingam at the 3,880 metre high cave shrine crossed 4.5 lakh on Saturday, officials said.
All the six pilgrims died of cardiac arrest, taking the death toll to 78 in the ongoing yatra which commenced on June 25, officials said.
Ranidhar (30), a resident of Maharashtra, and Amlas Chakravorty (62) of West Bengal died at Baltal base camp, while two Punjab residents Prem Kumar (47) and Gurnam Singh (22) breathed their last at Brarimarg and Nagatati-Pahalgam, respectively, the officials said.
They said Ram Bhai Baggi (50) of Maharashtra and Rajinder Kumar of Chandigarh passed away at Railpathri and the holy cave, respectively.
The yatra was, however, progressing smoothly and 4,55,765 pilgrims had paid obeisance at the shrine till this afternoon, the officials said.
The yatra is scheduled to conclude on August 2 coinciding with `Raksha Bhandan` with the arrival of the `Chhari Mubarak` (holy mace) of lord shiva at the shrine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks