Six injured as police foil protest march in J&K
Srinagar: Six persons were injured on Wednesday when Jammu and Kashmir police foiled a protest march of government employees in support of their demands, including regularisation of daily-wage and casual workers.
Hundreds of employees of Public Health Engineering (PHE) Department assembled near Press Colony here and tried to march towards the Chief Engineer`s office, but were stopped by police who asked them to disperse, official sources said.
The employees insisted on going ahead with the protest, following which police used batons to disperse them, sources said, adding that 20 protestors, including some of their leaders, were taken into preventive custody.
The protest call was given by Kashmir PHE Joint Employees Association in support of its demands for regularisation of daily wage workers, casual labourers and need-based workers. They also demanded their pending salaries be released and paid regularly.
The employees threatened to launch massive protests from April 18 if their demands were not met.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?