‘Six-time fall in separatist-sponsored strikes’
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir has witnessed a
six-time fall in demonstrations called by separatists in 2011
as compared to the previous year, police said on Sunday.
"There were 35 separatist-sponsored strikes in 2009 and
the number increased to 131 in 2010. However, only 21 protests
took place till November 15 this year, indicating a six-time
decrease," a senior police officer said here.
According to J&K Home department data, a total of 2,096
separatist-sponsored processions and demonstrations took place
in Kashmir Valley in the past two decades. 1,692 such protests
were recorded so far from January 1990.
The state witnessed highest 416 demonstrations in 1992,
while 207 strikes took place in 1991, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre