Slain ultra relative of NC lawmaker: Police
Srinagar: 1 of the 3 militants
killed in yesterday`s shootout in the city is a relative of
National Conference Lok Sabha member Sharif-ud-din Shariq,
Arshad Bashir, who was gunned down at Qammarwari in
the summer capital, is a grandson of Shariq`s brother-in-law,
Shariq, a senior member of the ruling NC in Jammu and
Kashmir, was elected to the Lower House of Parliament from
Baramulla district in 2009.
The NC Parliamentarian was quoted in the local media
as saying the incident was a "cold blooded murder" of the
three youth and policemen involved in it should be arrested.
However, Shariq issued a statement here this evening
saying the remarks attributed to him were "distorted".
"The statement attributed to me in some newspapers was
presented in a distorted manner," he said.
"The fact is that one of my relatives was killed in
the firing incident. I was told he was neither a militant nor
had any affiliation with the ultras.
"Therefore, I have demanded a probe into the entire
incident," the lawmaker said.
"I have discussed the issue with Chief Minister Omar
Abdullah who has assured me his government will not tolerate
any violation of human rights," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- India vs Australia: Ravindra Jadeja clobbers Steve O'Keefe, Nathan Lyon for sixes — VIDEO