Slight respite from cold wave in Kashmir
Srinagar: The Kashmir valley got slight
respite from extreme cold except in Gulmarg where the mercury
settled seven degrees below the freezing point a day after
snow and rains lashed parts of the region.
In most parts of the valley, the minimum temperature
remained above the freezing point, a rare departure from the
chilling weather of the past fortnight when mercury would
plunge down several degrees below zero.
Gulmarg in north Kashmir was the only exception in the
valley where the night temperature plunged to minus 7.2
degrees Celsius, a decrease of 3.2 degrees compared to
Wednesday, a MeT official said on Thursday.
However, rainfall and snow on Wednesday brought respite from
the dry weather conditions and the freezing temperature which
had prevailed in the valley over the last fortnight.
Light to moderate rains is expected at several places in
the valley in the next 24 hours, the official said.
In the summer capital, the overnight minimum temperature
had increased to 3.5 degrees Celsius, compared to 1.7 degrees
Celsius yesterday, he said.
It is an increase of 5.3 degrees in the minimum
temperature in the city in last 48 hours when the mercury
dipped to a low of minus 1.8 degrees Celsius on Tuesday night.
The gateway township of south Kashmir, Qazigund recorded
a minimum temperature of 2.2 degrees Celsius.
However, the remote town of Leh in Ladakh region
continues to witness freezing chill as the minimum temperature
there plunged to minus 9.2 degrees Celsius while in the
adjoining Kargil town the minimum over night temperature was
recorded at minus 7.6 degrees Celsius.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?