Slight respite from cold wave in Kashmir
Srinagar: The Kashmir valley got slight
respite from extreme cold except in Gulmarg where the mercury
settled seven degrees below the freezing point a day after
snow and rains lashed parts of the region.
In most parts of the valley, the minimum temperature
remained above the freezing point, a rare departure from the
chilling weather of the past fortnight when mercury would
plunge down several degrees below zero.
Gulmarg in north Kashmir was the only exception in the
valley where the night temperature plunged to minus 7.2
degrees Celsius, a decrease of 3.2 degrees compared to
Wednesday, a MeT official said on Thursday.
However, rainfall and snow on Wednesday brought respite from
the dry weather conditions and the freezing temperature which
had prevailed in the valley over the last fortnight.
Light to moderate rains is expected at several places in
the valley in the next 24 hours, the official said.
In the summer capital, the overnight minimum temperature
had increased to 3.5 degrees Celsius, compared to 1.7 degrees
Celsius yesterday, he said.
It is an increase of 5.3 degrees in the minimum
temperature in the city in last 48 hours when the mercury
dipped to a low of minus 1.8 degrees Celsius on Tuesday night.
The gateway township of south Kashmir, Qazigund recorded
a minimum temperature of 2.2 degrees Celsius.
However, the remote town of Leh in Ladakh region
continues to witness freezing chill as the minimum temperature
there plunged to minus 9.2 degrees Celsius while in the
adjoining Kargil town the minimum over night temperature was
recorded at minus 7.6 degrees Celsius.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections