Slight respite from cold wave in Kashmir
Srinagar: The Kashmir valley got slight
respite from extreme cold except in Gulmarg where the mercury
settled seven degrees below the freezing point a day after
snow and rains lashed parts of the region.
In most parts of the valley, the minimum temperature
remained above the freezing point, a rare departure from the
chilling weather of the past fortnight when mercury would
plunge down several degrees below zero.
Gulmarg in north Kashmir was the only exception in the
valley where the night temperature plunged to minus 7.2
degrees Celsius, a decrease of 3.2 degrees compared to
Wednesday, a MeT official said on Thursday.
However, rainfall and snow on Wednesday brought respite from
the dry weather conditions and the freezing temperature which
had prevailed in the valley over the last fortnight.
Light to moderate rains is expected at several places in
the valley in the next 24 hours, the official said.
In the summer capital, the overnight minimum temperature
had increased to 3.5 degrees Celsius, compared to 1.7 degrees
Celsius yesterday, he said.
It is an increase of 5.3 degrees in the minimum
temperature in the city in last 48 hours when the mercury
dipped to a low of minus 1.8 degrees Celsius on Tuesday night.
The gateway township of south Kashmir, Qazigund recorded
a minimum temperature of 2.2 degrees Celsius.
However, the remote town of Leh in Ladakh region
continues to witness freezing chill as the minimum temperature
there plunged to minus 9.2 degrees Celsius while in the
adjoining Kargil town the minimum over night temperature was
recorded at minus 7.6 degrees Celsius.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in