Slight respite from cold wave in Kashmir
Srinagar: The Kashmir valley got slight
respite from extreme cold except in Gulmarg where the mercury
settled seven degrees below the freezing point a day after
snow and rains lashed parts of the region.
In most parts of the valley, the minimum temperature
remained above the freezing point, a rare departure from the
chilling weather of the past fortnight when mercury would
plunge down several degrees below zero.
Gulmarg in north Kashmir was the only exception in the
valley where the night temperature plunged to minus 7.2
degrees Celsius, a decrease of 3.2 degrees compared to
Wednesday, a MeT official said on Thursday.
However, rainfall and snow on Wednesday brought respite from
the dry weather conditions and the freezing temperature which
had prevailed in the valley over the last fortnight.
Light to moderate rains is expected at several places in
the valley in the next 24 hours, the official said.
In the summer capital, the overnight minimum temperature
had increased to 3.5 degrees Celsius, compared to 1.7 degrees
Celsius yesterday, he said.
It is an increase of 5.3 degrees in the minimum
temperature in the city in last 48 hours when the mercury
dipped to a low of minus 1.8 degrees Celsius on Tuesday night.
The gateway township of south Kashmir, Qazigund recorded
a minimum temperature of 2.2 degrees Celsius.
However, the remote town of Leh in Ladakh region
continues to witness freezing chill as the minimum temperature
there plunged to minus 9.2 degrees Celsius while in the
adjoining Kargil town the minimum over night temperature was
recorded at minus 7.6 degrees Celsius.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!