Slight respite from cold wave in Kashmir
Srinagar: The Kashmir valley got slight
respite from extreme cold except in Gulmarg where the mercury
settled seven degrees below the freezing point a day after
snow and rains lashed parts of the region.
In most parts of the valley, the minimum temperature
remained above the freezing point, a rare departure from the
chilling weather of the past fortnight when mercury would
plunge down several degrees below zero.
Gulmarg in north Kashmir was the only exception in the
valley where the night temperature plunged to minus 7.2
degrees Celsius, a decrease of 3.2 degrees compared to
Wednesday, a MeT official said on Thursday.
However, rainfall and snow on Wednesday brought respite from
the dry weather conditions and the freezing temperature which
had prevailed in the valley over the last fortnight.
Light to moderate rains is expected at several places in
the valley in the next 24 hours, the official said.
In the summer capital, the overnight minimum temperature
had increased to 3.5 degrees Celsius, compared to 1.7 degrees
Celsius yesterday, he said.
It is an increase of 5.3 degrees in the minimum
temperature in the city in last 48 hours when the mercury
dipped to a low of minus 1.8 degrees Celsius on Tuesday night.
The gateway township of south Kashmir, Qazigund recorded
a minimum temperature of 2.2 degrees Celsius.
However, the remote town of Leh in Ladakh region
continues to witness freezing chill as the minimum temperature
there plunged to minus 9.2 degrees Celsius while in the
adjoining Kargil town the minimum over night temperature was
recorded at minus 7.6 degrees Celsius.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know