Snow hits Amarnath Yatra preparations in Kashmir
Baltal Base Camp: Snow and inclement weather have hit the setting up of free kitchen (langar) services at this Amarnath Yatra base camp in north Kashmir, organisers said on Thursday.
"I`ve been coming to Baltal for 14 years to set up the langar for the pilgrims but have never seen so much snow. We are unable to set up the langar because of accumulated snow on the ground," Ajay Kumar, a coordinator, said.
Thousands of pilgrims come each year to this camp, 87 km from Srinagar, to start their pilgrimage to the Himalayan cave shrine of Amarnath.
The 14-km trek from here to the shrine passes over glaciers and treacherous mountains. Even a drizzle on the slippery trek is enough to halt the passage of the pilgrims.
"I`ve been coming for 18 years. Never before have I seen such snow at the base camp. It is proving difficult to pitch tents and shift materials to set up the langar," said Phulwinder Singh, another coordinator.
Nearly a dozen trucks are removing the accumulated snow from the base camp. Earth movers are cutting through the frozen snow and moving the snow to trucks.
Despite the snow, Navin K. Chowdhary, chief executive officer of Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB), which manages the Amarnath Yatra, said the pilgrimage would start on schedule.
"The governor, who heads SASB, visited the camp Tuesday along with a team of senior civil administration, police and army officials," he said.
"Efforts are on to clear the route and we are confident that the pilgrimage will begin June 25," he said.
"We are facing challenges from the weather which has not yet stabilised in the area," he said.
So far, more than 300,000 pilgrims have registered for the pilgrimage.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know