Snowfall causes acute problems for locals in Poonch
Poonch: With roads blocked, no access to markets and a frozen water supply, villagers in Jammu and Kashmir are struggling to carry out their daily chores.
With streams freezing over and hillsides blanketed in snow, the residents of Sawjian in the state’s Poonch district huddled around bonfires, wrapped in many layers of clothing to cope with an intense spell of cold, not seen in many years.
“It is after very long that we have had such an intense spell of cold. It has snowed a few times as well. This unprecedented cold is hitting the children and the elderly the most. Water has frozen in our taps, and we are facing severe problems,” said Mohammad Subhan Tantri, a 73 year-old villager.
The cold took its toll on the health of the locals, many of whom fell sick and were admitted to the local hospital.
For the younger residents of Sawjian, this has been the coldest winter they have seen in their lives, and even their elders had to reach far into their memories to remember a colder season.
"It has snowed so heavily after around 40 years. Not only are pipes getting jammed, the cold is killing people as well. Even our elders are saying that this is the coldest year in nearly six decades," said another local resident, Mohammad Aslam Bhat.
The children tried to beat the cold by warming themselves around the bonfire.
Heavy snowfall in the region this year has left locals to bear the brunt of the continuing cold as closure of the highway has impeded travel and food supplies.
Snowfall in this region, among others, has had a direct impact as temperatures plummeted in many parts of the country such as Punjab, Haryana, Delhi and Uttar Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says