Snowfall halts traffic on Srinagar-Jammu highway
Srinagar: The Kashmir Valley on Saturday experienced fresh snowfall, forcing authorities to close the Srinagar-Jammu highway.
Light snowfall started here and other towns of the valley in the morning. There were reports of moderate snowfall in the higher reaches, especially in the Pir Panjal mountain range in south Kashmir.
The Met Office here issued an advisory predicting moderate to heavy snowfall in the Pir Panjal mountain range and light snowfall in some other areas of the state.
"Rain and snowfall will occur in the Kashmir Valley due to the western disturbance active over the state. There will be light snowfall in some areas including Srinagar. But moderate to heavy snowfall is expected in the higher reaches," Sonam Lotus, director of the Met Office, here told a news agency.
Authorities said the movement of vehicles on the Srinagar-Jammu highway has been halted because of accumulation of snow in the Bannihal sector of the road in Anantnag district.
Due to a cloud cover, the minimum temperature rose across the state.
The night temperature in Srinagar was a little above the freezing point at 0.4 degree Celsius.
In Pahalgam, the minimum temperature was -2 degrees Celsius. It was -5.2 degrees Celsius in Gulmarg, -12.6 degrees Celsius in Leh and -14.4 degrees Celsius in Kargil town.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org