Snowfall halts traffic on Srinagar-Jammu highway
Srinagar: The Kashmir Valley on Saturday experienced fresh snowfall, forcing authorities to close the Srinagar-Jammu highway.
Light snowfall started here and other towns of the valley in the morning. There were reports of moderate snowfall in the higher reaches, especially in the Pir Panjal mountain range in south Kashmir.
The Met Office here issued an advisory predicting moderate to heavy snowfall in the Pir Panjal mountain range and light snowfall in some other areas of the state.
"Rain and snowfall will occur in the Kashmir Valley due to the western disturbance active over the state. There will be light snowfall in some areas including Srinagar. But moderate to heavy snowfall is expected in the higher reaches," Sonam Lotus, director of the Met Office, here told a news agency.
Authorities said the movement of vehicles on the Srinagar-Jammu highway has been halted because of accumulation of snow in the Bannihal sector of the road in Anantnag district.
Due to a cloud cover, the minimum temperature rose across the state.
The night temperature in Srinagar was a little above the freezing point at 0.4 degree Celsius.
In Pahalgam, the minimum temperature was -2 degrees Celsius. It was -5.2 degrees Celsius in Gulmarg, -12.6 degrees Celsius in Leh and -14.4 degrees Celsius in Kargil town.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know