Snowfall in North Kashmir, Ladakh continues to freeze
Srinagar: There was light snowfall in some areas of North Kashmir on Sunday as the cold wave marginally abated in the Valley, but the freeze continued in the Ladakh region with Leh at a biting minus 13 degrees Celsius.
The ski resort of Gulmarg, Kupwara, Handwara and a few other places saw light snowfall in the morning and another cold wave is expected in the Valley in the coming days, said RL Pandita, assistant director of the weather office here.
"Light rain or snowfall is expected till Monday in the Valley after which we are in for another spell of cold and dry weather," Pandita said.
The minimum temperature recorded in summer capital Srinagar was minus 0.1 degrees Celsius, the official said.
"It was minus 2 degrees in South Kashmir Qazigund town, minus 9 in Pahalgam hill station and minus 7.7 degrees in Gulmarg," Pandita said.
"The Ladakh region continues to reel under intense cold wave conditions. The minimum temperature was minus 13 degrees Celsius both in Leh and Kargil towns today (Sunday)," the official added.
Authorities, meanwhile, allowed one-way traffic on the Srinagar-Jammu National Highway due to the improvement in the weather in South Kashmir areas.
"After 10 am, vehicles will be allowed to move from Srinagar to Jammu on the highway," a traffic department official said here.
The highway was closed Saturday evening due to fresh snowfall in the Jawahar tunnel area of the road.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre