Snowfall in North Kashmir, Ladakh continues to freeze
Srinagar: There was light snowfall in some areas of North Kashmir on Sunday as the cold wave marginally abated in the Valley, but the freeze continued in the Ladakh region with Leh at a biting minus 13 degrees Celsius.
The ski resort of Gulmarg, Kupwara, Handwara and a few other places saw light snowfall in the morning and another cold wave is expected in the Valley in the coming days, said RL Pandita, assistant director of the weather office here.
"Light rain or snowfall is expected till Monday in the Valley after which we are in for another spell of cold and dry weather," Pandita said.
The minimum temperature recorded in summer capital Srinagar was minus 0.1 degrees Celsius, the official said.
"It was minus 2 degrees in South Kashmir Qazigund town, minus 9 in Pahalgam hill station and minus 7.7 degrees in Gulmarg," Pandita said.
"The Ladakh region continues to reel under intense cold wave conditions. The minimum temperature was minus 13 degrees Celsius both in Leh and Kargil towns today (Sunday)," the official added.
Authorities, meanwhile, allowed one-way traffic on the Srinagar-Jammu National Highway due to the improvement in the weather in South Kashmir areas.
"After 10 am, vehicles will be allowed to move from Srinagar to Jammu on the highway," a traffic department official said here.
The highway was closed Saturday evening due to fresh snowfall in the Jawahar tunnel area of the road.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Diabetes drug may help prevent heart disease
- Kashmir unrest: Mehbooba Mufti meets PM Modi, hits out at Pakistan for openly fuelling tension in Valley
- Watch: Mouni Roy, Sanjeeda Sheikh's crazy 'Afghan Jalebi' act will make your day!
- Outline solutions, don't become roadblock to progressive democracy: BJP tells Mamata
- After Virat Kohli, time for Anil Kumble to work with MS Dhoni - Here's what Jumbo said..