Snowfall shuts Srinagar-Jammu highway, rail service
Srinagar: Heavy snowfall across the Kashmir Valley on Wednesday forced closure of road links between the valley and the rest of the country.
The strategic Srinagar-Jammu highway was closed by the authorities for all sorts of vehicular traffic Wednesday morning following heavy snowfall in Banihal and Patnitop sectors and landslides in Ramban sector of the over-300-km long road.
The highway is the lifeline of supplies to the landlocked valley.
Heavy snowfall has also forced the railway authorities to suspend the operations of the Baramulla-Banihal train, another surface link between the valley and the Jammu region.
Snowfall started Tuesday evening and continued through Wednesday in Srinagar and all other parts of the valley.
While Srinagar city recorded a few inches of accumulated snow on the roads, reports of heavy snowfall have come in from Gulmarg, Pahalgam and other towns.
Electric supply was suspended soon after the snowfall began.
Authorities in Srinagar and other towns have moved out snow clearance machines to restore inter-district road connectivity, while engineers of the electric department said they were working to restore the electricity supply.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened