Social activist shot dead by militants in J&K
Srinagar: A prominent social activist was on Wednesday shot dead by militants in Sopore township of north Kashmir`s Baramulla district, police said.
Kifayat Hussain (45), was called out by the militants from his home in Shankar Gund area of Sopore. He was later fired from point-blank range at his head killing him on the spot, they said.
Hussain, who was famous in the area for working for welfare of the people, had been on the hit-list of militants and was provided two Personal Security Officers (PSOs) by the local police, they said.
He was also running a Himayat Centre in the area.
No militant outfit has so far claimed the responsibility for the attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family