Solar power plant to be launched in Leh
New Delhi: DRDO Chief VK Saraswat will
launch a solar power plant, thermally-controlled greenhouse
and an advanced hatchery unit at Leh on Wednesday to mark the
golden jubilee celebrations of the Defence Institute of High
Altitude Research (DIHAR) there.
Located at an altitude of 3,500m, the lab was set up in
1962 to fulfil the fresh food requirements of the defence
forces deployed in Ladakh sector and has emerged as a leader
in the area of cold arid agro-animal technologies, DRDO said
in a release.
The major thrust of the institute has been on research for
productivity enhancement in vegetable cultivation and
utilisation of high altitude plant wealth for herbal products,
Due to the pioneering work by the laboratory in high
altitude areas, about 60 percent of vegetables, 25 percent
of milk and about 10 percent of meat requirements of army
troops deployed there are being met locally, the release said.
"All these activities of the institute have brought close
affiliation of the local people in the border area towards the
Indian Army," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion