Some relief from cold in Kashmir Valley
Srinagar: Residents of Jammu and Kashmir got some relief from the cold wave as the night temperatures rose by several degrees across the Valley, except the ski-resort of Gulmarg where minimum temperature dropped by a degree.
The Valley had been under the grip of intense cold wave, with Srinagar registering the season`s coldest nights for the five consecutive days.
However, the overcast conditions led to a rise in the night temperature yesterday with the mercury in Srinagar settling above the freezing point after more than a week.
Srinagar recorded a minimum of 0.3 degree Celsius, up by over four degrees from the previous night`s -4.3 degrees Celsius, an official of the MeT department said here.
The minimum temperature in Pahalgam, a tourist resort in south Kashmir which also serves as a base camp during the annual Amarnath yatra, rose by over five degrees to settle at 0.4 degrees Celsius, as against the previous night`s -4.8 degrees Celsius, he said.
However, the mercury in Gulmarg settled at a low of -1.2 degrees Celsius, a drop of one degree from the previous night`s -0.2 degrees Celsius.
Qazigiund, the gateway town to Kashmir, recorded a minimum of -2.3 degrees Celsius, up two degrees as compared to the previous night`s -4.3 degrees Celsius.
Kupwara town in north Kashmir registered an increase of over five degrees in the minimum temperature as the mercury recorded a low of 0.5 degree Celsius, compared to -4.7 degrees Celsius the previous night.
The mercury settled at a low of -0.1 degree Celsius in Kokernag in south Kashmir, as compared to the previous night`s -3.6 degrees Celsius.
Leh continues to be the coldest place in state after recording a temperature of -10 degrees Celsius, up from previous night`s -13.8 degrees Celsius.
The night temperature in the nearby Kargil town registered an increase of over five degrees from the previous night`s low of -10 degrees Celsius to settle at a low of -4.6 degrees Celsius.
The MeT Department has said the weather in the valley would continue to remain dry.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference