Sophian deaths: No witness turns up to depose
Srinagar: No civilian witness turned up to depose before a judicial commission, appointed to probe the killing of four youth in CRPF firing in Shopian in September.
Justice (ret) ML Koul, who was appointed in October as head of the commission to probe the firing incident on September 7, visited Shopian yesterday but no witnesses turned up to depose before him.
Widespread protests were witnessed after the deaths, which took place on the day when internationally-renowned orchestra conductor Zubin Maestro performed at Shalimar gardens here.
Koul said the witnesses were asked to depose before the commission on Saturday and a prior notice was also issued in this regard.
Justice (retd) Koul said he will set another date for recording of statements for civilian witnesses before proceeding any further.
"I will cross examine the accused CRPF men only after recording the statements of civilian witnesses," he said.
Four persons were killed at Gagran in Shopian district, 55 kms from here on September 7 in the firing.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah ordered a judicial probe into the killings after the CRPF claim that all the deceased were militants, a version contested by local residents of Shopian.
Police have said that three youths were local and had no record of involvement in militancy, but maintained the fourth youth was a Pakistani militant.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India