Sophian deaths: No witness turns up to depose
Srinagar: No civilian witness turned up to depose before a judicial commission, appointed to probe the killing of four youth in CRPF firing in Shopian in September.
Justice (ret) ML Koul, who was appointed in October as head of the commission to probe the firing incident on September 7, visited Shopian yesterday but no witnesses turned up to depose before him.
Widespread protests were witnessed after the deaths, which took place on the day when internationally-renowned orchestra conductor Zubin Maestro performed at Shalimar gardens here.
Koul said the witnesses were asked to depose before the commission on Saturday and a prior notice was also issued in this regard.
Justice (retd) Koul said he will set another date for recording of statements for civilian witnesses before proceeding any further.
"I will cross examine the accused CRPF men only after recording the statements of civilian witnesses," he said.
Four persons were killed at Gagran in Shopian district, 55 kms from here on September 7 in the firing.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah ordered a judicial probe into the killings after the CRPF claim that all the deceased were militants, a version contested by local residents of Shopian.
Police have said that three youths were local and had no record of involvement in militancy, but maintained the fourth youth was a Pakistani militant.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges - Part II
- DNA: How BSF soldiers guard the border in scorching summer heat
- DNA: Why is Congress taking support of affidavits to ensure alliance of MLA's?
- DNA: Analysis of how cancer is increasing death toll in India
- Panama probe independent of Bachchan's presence at Modi bash: Union Law Minister
- PM Modi congratulates new Kerala CM
- Jharkhand Maoists torch 35 vehicles in 150 days; contractors panic
- Loyalty declaration on stamp paper a symbol of slavery: BJP
- Militants kill cop, snatch weapon from another in Kashmir