Sopore massacre: Court asks CBI investigator to appear before it

TADA court in Jammu and Kashmir on Saturday directed the CBI officer who investigated the 1993 `Sopore massacre`, in which 50 persons were killed in alleged firing by BSF troops, to appear before it on July 14.

PTI| Last Updated: Jun 28, 2014, 23:21 PM IST

Srinagar: A TADA court in Jammu and Kashmir on Saturday directed the CBI officer who investigated the 1993 `Sopore massacre`, in which 50 persons were killed in alleged firing by BSF troops, to appear before it on July 14.
The court direction came on a petition filed by survivors of the massacre against the closure of the case by the CBI.

The court directed the then CBI investigation officer, DSP Vijay Kumar Shukla, to appear on before it on July 14, the counsel for the petitioners Pervez Imroz told.

Imroz said the survivors filed the petition contesting the rationale behind closure of the case by CBI and demanded reinvestigation into the killings.

The CBI had filed the closure report on December 4 last year on the grounds that the witnesses examined were unable to identify the BSF personnel involved in the incident and they could not give details of the firing or cross-firing.

The survivors have alleged that on January 6, 1993, personnel of the 94th battalion of BSF "carried out an attack in Sopore town that led to the killing of more than 50 civilians, injury to more than a dozen and destruction of more than 500 shops and two dozen houses".