Speaker asks J&K govt to appoint members to commission
Srinagar: Speaker of Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Assembly Mohammad Akbar Lone friday asked the state government to give a definite time frame for appointment of members to the State Backward Classes Commission to ensure its proper functioning.
The Speaker intervened during the Question Hour as State Social Welfare Minister Sakina Ittoo, in response to PDP MLA Mehbooba Mufti`s question, said the government will "soon" appoint members to the commission.
"How soon is it? One year, one month...The government should give a definite time frame.
As elected representatives, we are facing difficulties in referring cases to the commission which is not functioning properly due to lack of (adequate) members," Lone said.
The Speaker said it was "very bad" that the commission was not functioning properly. The Minister assured the Speaker that her department will pursue the matter with the Chief Minister`s office vigorously.
"We have already sent the file to Chief Minister for approval," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- VIDEO: Ambidextrous Sri Lankan Kamindu Mendis bowling with both hands
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review