Srinagar curfew continues for third day
Srinagar: Curfew continued for the third day in seven areas of Jammu and Kashmir`s summer capital Srinagar Saturday though public transport ran and shops opened in some parts of the city.
As a preventive measure, the authorities continued the curfew in Rainawari, Khanyaar, Nowhatta, MR Gunj, Safakadal, Zadibal and Maisuma police station areas of the city.
No restrictions or curfew have been imposed in any other part of the city, a senior police officer told IANS.
Dozens of public transport vehicles ferrying tourists to Sonamarg, Gulmarg and Pahalgam hill stations plied normally on roads in the Valley.
Curfew was imposed after a youth identified as Bashir Ahmad, from Gratabal area (Nawa Kadal) in old city, died in security forces firing Wednesday.
A magisterial probe was ordered into the incident and the district magistrate of Srinagar was ordered to submit the report within 15 days.
The Central Reserve Police Force has also ordered an inquiry into the incident.
Incidents of stone pelting were reported Friday from Kashmir`s Baramulla and Bandipora districts in which protestors attacked an ambulance injuring its driver.
Two senior police officers were injured Friday in stone pelting incidents in Badgam district and the uptown Hyderpora area of Srinagar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Saudi prince Turki Bin Saud Al-Kabir executed for murder in rare case
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!
- India can only 'bark', its products can't compete: Chinese state media
- Sania Mirza trolls Sanjay Manjrekar on Twitter after completing 80 consecutive weeks as World No. 1 doubles player