Srinagar freezes at minus 3.4 degrees Celsius
Srinagar: At minus 3.4 degrees Celsius, this Jammu and Kashmir city experienced the coldest night of the season so far with people Wednesday waking up to frozen taps and slippery icy roads.
"The minimum temperature was minus 3.4 degrees Celsius and Srinagar had its coldest night of the season," said director weather office Sonam Lotus.
Lotus said Leh and Kargil towns were freezing at minus 16.4 and minus 9.6 degrees Celsius respectively.
The Met department predicted no respite from the chill even as maximum temperature recorded in Sringar was a couple of notches above the normal during this period.
The night temperatures were likely to fall further during the next one week while there would be rise in the day temperatures because of clear skies across the Kashmir Valley, Lotus said.
"The day temperature is two to three degrees Celsius above normal, he said.
Water taps were frozen at most places in the Srinagar city and reports from other cities and towns of the valley indicated that people had a tough time lighting fires around the water taps to melt them down.
Slippery roads made traffic movement difficult in Srinagar.
"The roads were very slippery in the morning, especially at places where they were wet. I had a difficult time driving my daughter to a tuition centre," said Javaid Ahmad, 45, a businessman here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read