Srinagar gets relief, still freezing in Ladakh
Srinagar: Summer capital Srinagar was slightly warmer on Saturday at minus 0.4 degrees Celsius, still below the freezing mark but Jammu and Kashmir`s cold desert region of Ladakh continued to reel under the intense cold wave.
"Due to the nightlong cloud cover, the minimum temperature again rose today (Saturday) in Srinagar from Friday`s minus 2.2 to minus 0.4 degrees Celsius," said AR Zargar, assistant meteorologist at the weather office here.
In Pahalgam hill station, the minimum recorded was minus 1.8 while in the North Kashmir Gulmarg ski resort, it was minus 6 degrees, he said.
"Leh and Kargil towns of Ladakh region continued to reel under intense cold wave conditions. The minimum temperature recorded in Leh was minus 13.6 degrees Celsius while in Kargil town it was minus 10.4 degrees," Zargar added.
Zargar said the western disturbance that arrived on Thursday is still active over the state although it has weakened.
"A western disturbance still persists over the state although it has slightly weakened now. We are expecting some precipitation in the form of light rain or snowfall in the plains and a moderate one in the hills by Sunday," the meteorologist said.
For the second day on Saturday, water taps had not frozen in Srinagar city, sparing residents the ordeal of lighting small fires around the pipes to defreeze them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!