Srinagar gets relief, still freezing in Ladakh
Srinagar: Summer capital Srinagar was slightly warmer on Saturday at minus 0.4 degrees Celsius, still below the freezing mark but Jammu and Kashmir`s cold desert region of Ladakh continued to reel under the intense cold wave.
"Due to the nightlong cloud cover, the minimum temperature again rose today (Saturday) in Srinagar from Friday`s minus 2.2 to minus 0.4 degrees Celsius," said AR Zargar, assistant meteorologist at the weather office here.
In Pahalgam hill station, the minimum recorded was minus 1.8 while in the North Kashmir Gulmarg ski resort, it was minus 6 degrees, he said.
"Leh and Kargil towns of Ladakh region continued to reel under intense cold wave conditions. The minimum temperature recorded in Leh was minus 13.6 degrees Celsius while in Kargil town it was minus 10.4 degrees," Zargar added.
Zargar said the western disturbance that arrived on Thursday is still active over the state although it has weakened.
"A western disturbance still persists over the state although it has slightly weakened now. We are expecting some precipitation in the form of light rain or snowfall in the plains and a moderate one in the hills by Sunday," the meteorologist said.
For the second day on Saturday, water taps had not frozen in Srinagar city, sparing residents the ordeal of lighting small fires around the pipes to defreeze them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'