Srinagar gets relief, still freezing in Ladakh
Srinagar: Summer capital Srinagar was slightly warmer on Saturday at minus 0.4 degrees Celsius, still below the freezing mark but Jammu and Kashmir`s cold desert region of Ladakh continued to reel under the intense cold wave.
"Due to the nightlong cloud cover, the minimum temperature again rose today (Saturday) in Srinagar from Friday`s minus 2.2 to minus 0.4 degrees Celsius," said AR Zargar, assistant meteorologist at the weather office here.
In Pahalgam hill station, the minimum recorded was minus 1.8 while in the North Kashmir Gulmarg ski resort, it was minus 6 degrees, he said.
"Leh and Kargil towns of Ladakh region continued to reel under intense cold wave conditions. The minimum temperature recorded in Leh was minus 13.6 degrees Celsius while in Kargil town it was minus 10.4 degrees," Zargar added.
Zargar said the western disturbance that arrived on Thursday is still active over the state although it has weakened.
"A western disturbance still persists over the state although it has slightly weakened now. We are expecting some precipitation in the form of light rain or snowfall in the plains and a moderate one in the hills by Sunday," the meteorologist said.
For the second day on Saturday, water taps had not frozen in Srinagar city, sparing residents the ordeal of lighting small fires around the pipes to defreeze them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister