Srinagar-Jammu highway closed after snowfall
Srinagar: Srinagar-Jammu national highway was closed on Thursday after fresh snowfall in Bannihal and Patnitop sectors of the over 300-kilometre long road in Jammu and Kashmir.
"Fresh snowfall has occurred during the night in Bannihal and Patnitop sectors of Srinagar-Jammu national highway.”
"Keeping passengers safety and road conditions in view, the highway has been closed today (Thursday) morning for all sorts of vehicular traffic.”
"Intending passengers are advised not to undertake the journey before contacting traffic police control rooms in Srinagar and Jammu.”
"Snow clearance operations will be started today (Thursday) after the snowfall stops in these sectors of the road.”
"Around one and half feet deep snow had accumulated on the road in Bannihal and Patnitop in the morning and latest reports indicate intermittent snowfall still continues there," a senior official of the traffic police told a news agency in Srinagar.
All supplies of essential goods, including petrol, diesel, kerosene oil, foodstuffs, cooking gas, and medicines are brought in through this highway which is the only connection between Kashmir and the country.
Rail services between Bannihal town in Jammu and Baramulla in North Kashmir were also suspended Thursday morning due to snowfall. Railway officials said the services would resume after the tracks were cleared later in the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing