Srinagar-Jammu highway closed after snowfall
Srinagar: Srinagar-Jammu national highway was closed on Thursday after fresh snowfall in Bannihal and Patnitop sectors of the over 300-kilometre long road in Jammu and Kashmir.
"Fresh snowfall has occurred during the night in Bannihal and Patnitop sectors of Srinagar-Jammu national highway.”
"Keeping passengers safety and road conditions in view, the highway has been closed today (Thursday) morning for all sorts of vehicular traffic.”
"Intending passengers are advised not to undertake the journey before contacting traffic police control rooms in Srinagar and Jammu.”
"Snow clearance operations will be started today (Thursday) after the snowfall stops in these sectors of the road.”
"Around one and half feet deep snow had accumulated on the road in Bannihal and Patnitop in the morning and latest reports indicate intermittent snowfall still continues there," a senior official of the traffic police told a news agency in Srinagar.
All supplies of essential goods, including petrol, diesel, kerosene oil, foodstuffs, cooking gas, and medicines are brought in through this highway which is the only connection between Kashmir and the country.
Rail services between Bannihal town in Jammu and Baramulla in North Kashmir were also suspended Thursday morning due to snowfall. Railway officials said the services would resume after the tracks were cleared later in the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Rising dengue cases: PIL accuses govt of not being vigilant
- Is Sophie Choudry secretly engaged? Here's the truth
- 'Consumers likely to feel pinch as coal freight hike may force companies to shift burden'
- PM Narendra Modi lauds Indian daughters' endeavours in Rio; demands all-round focus in sports
- Major Dhyan Chand example of sportsman spirit, patriotism: PM Modi pays tribute to the hockey legend