Srinagar-Jammu highway closed after snowfall
Srinagar: Srinagar-Jammu national highway was closed on Thursday after fresh snowfall in Bannihal and Patnitop sectors of the over 300-kilometre long road in Jammu and Kashmir.
"Fresh snowfall has occurred during the night in Bannihal and Patnitop sectors of Srinagar-Jammu national highway.”
"Keeping passengers safety and road conditions in view, the highway has been closed today (Thursday) morning for all sorts of vehicular traffic.”
"Intending passengers are advised not to undertake the journey before contacting traffic police control rooms in Srinagar and Jammu.”
"Snow clearance operations will be started today (Thursday) after the snowfall stops in these sectors of the road.”
"Around one and half feet deep snow had accumulated on the road in Bannihal and Patnitop in the morning and latest reports indicate intermittent snowfall still continues there," a senior official of the traffic police told a news agency in Srinagar.
All supplies of essential goods, including petrol, diesel, kerosene oil, foodstuffs, cooking gas, and medicines are brought in through this highway which is the only connection between Kashmir and the country.
Rail services between Bannihal town in Jammu and Baramulla in North Kashmir were also suspended Thursday morning due to snowfall. Railway officials said the services would resume after the tracks were cleared later in the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj