Srinagar-Jammu highway closed after snowfall
Srinagar: Srinagar-Jammu national highway was closed on Thursday after fresh snowfall in Bannihal and Patnitop sectors of the over 300-kilometre long road in Jammu and Kashmir.
"Fresh snowfall has occurred during the night in Bannihal and Patnitop sectors of Srinagar-Jammu national highway.”
"Keeping passengers safety and road conditions in view, the highway has been closed today (Thursday) morning for all sorts of vehicular traffic.”
"Intending passengers are advised not to undertake the journey before contacting traffic police control rooms in Srinagar and Jammu.”
"Snow clearance operations will be started today (Thursday) after the snowfall stops in these sectors of the road.”
"Around one and half feet deep snow had accumulated on the road in Bannihal and Patnitop in the morning and latest reports indicate intermittent snowfall still continues there," a senior official of the traffic police told a news agency in Srinagar.
All supplies of essential goods, including petrol, diesel, kerosene oil, foodstuffs, cooking gas, and medicines are brought in through this highway which is the only connection between Kashmir and the country.
Rail services between Bannihal town in Jammu and Baramulla in North Kashmir were also suspended Thursday morning due to snowfall. Railway officials said the services would resume after the tracks were cleared later in the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed