Srinagar-Jammu Highway closed due to snowfall
Srinagar: The Srinagar-Jammu National
Highway, connecting the Kashmir Valley with the rest of the
country, was closed on Monday for traffic after heavy snowfall
along the arterial route.
A traffic department official said the 294-km long
highway was closed after heavy snowfall hit the region since
late last night.
He said more than one-and-half feet of snow had
accumulated near the vital Jawahar Tunnel, nine inches of snow
in Qazigund town and seven inches of snow at Patnitop point.
The highway is a vital road link which connects the
Valley with the rest of the country and acts as a supply
channel for all essential commodities going to the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed