Srinagar-Jammu Highway closed due to snowfall
Srinagar: The Srinagar-Jammu National
Highway, connecting the Kashmir Valley with the rest of the
country, was closed on Monday for traffic after heavy snowfall
along the arterial route.
A traffic department official said the 294-km long
highway was closed after heavy snowfall hit the region since
late last night.
He said more than one-and-half feet of snow had
accumulated near the vital Jawahar Tunnel, nine inches of snow
in Qazigund town and seven inches of snow at Patnitop point.
The highway is a vital road link which connects the
Valley with the rest of the country and acts as a supply
channel for all essential commodities going to the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Being overweight linked to eight more kinds of cancer
- Pentagon probes possible civilian casualties in Syria strike: official
- Actress Leslie Jones' website hacked, nude photos posted
- Afghan forces hunt gunmen after American University attack
- Islamic State attacks Western-backed camp on Jordan-Syria border