Srinagar-Jammu highway remains closed
Srinagar: Fresh snowfall and slippery road conditions blocked the Srinagar-Jammu highway for the second consecutive day on Tuesday.
Brigadier TPS Rawat, chief engineer of the Border Roads Organisation (BRO), said there had been fresh snowfall in the Banihal and Patnitop sectors of the road during the night which has resulted in slippery conditions.
"The highway has been closed for vehicular traffic to ensure passenger safety. Road clearance operations are going on and we will review the situation as soon as the weather improves," Rawat said.
Authorities have issued an avalanche warning for these areas due to heavy snowfall in the higher reaches.
The weather office has forecast an improvement in weather from Tuesday afternoon.
"The western disturbance is weakening now and we are expecting an improvement in weather from Tuesday afternoon," said Sonam Lotus, director of the met office.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan