Srinagar-Jammu highway remains closed
Srinagar: Fresh snowfall and slippery road conditions blocked the Srinagar-Jammu highway for the second consecutive day on Tuesday.
Brigadier TPS Rawat, chief engineer of the Border Roads Organisation (BRO), said there had been fresh snowfall in the Banihal and Patnitop sectors of the road during the night which has resulted in slippery conditions.
"The highway has been closed for vehicular traffic to ensure passenger safety. Road clearance operations are going on and we will review the situation as soon as the weather improves," Rawat said.
Authorities have issued an avalanche warning for these areas due to heavy snowfall in the higher reaches.
The weather office has forecast an improvement in weather from Tuesday afternoon.
"The western disturbance is weakening now and we are expecting an improvement in weather from Tuesday afternoon," said Sonam Lotus, director of the met office.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- OROP implementation after Bihar poll, says Manohar Parrikar
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men