Srinagar-Jammu highway remains closed
Srinagar: Fresh snowfall and slippery road conditions blocked the Srinagar-Jammu highway for the second consecutive day on Tuesday.
Brigadier TPS Rawat, chief engineer of the Border Roads Organisation (BRO), said there had been fresh snowfall in the Banihal and Patnitop sectors of the road during the night which has resulted in slippery conditions.
"The highway has been closed for vehicular traffic to ensure passenger safety. Road clearance operations are going on and we will review the situation as soon as the weather improves," Rawat said.
Authorities have issued an avalanche warning for these areas due to heavy snowfall in the higher reaches.
The weather office has forecast an improvement in weather from Tuesday afternoon.
"The western disturbance is weakening now and we are expecting an improvement in weather from Tuesday afternoon," said Sonam Lotus, director of the met office.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh