Srinagar-Jammu highway remains closed
Srinagar: Fresh snowfall and slippery road conditions blocked the Srinagar-Jammu highway for the second consecutive day on Tuesday.
Brigadier TPS Rawat, chief engineer of the Border Roads Organisation (BRO), said there had been fresh snowfall in the Banihal and Patnitop sectors of the road during the night which has resulted in slippery conditions.
"The highway has been closed for vehicular traffic to ensure passenger safety. Road clearance operations are going on and we will review the situation as soon as the weather improves," Rawat said.
Authorities have issued an avalanche warning for these areas due to heavy snowfall in the higher reaches.
The weather office has forecast an improvement in weather from Tuesday afternoon.
"The western disturbance is weakening now and we are expecting an improvement in weather from Tuesday afternoon," said Sonam Lotus, director of the met office.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj