Srinagar-Jammu highway remains closed
Srinagar: Fresh snowfall and slippery road conditions blocked the Srinagar-Jammu highway for the second consecutive day on Tuesday.
Brigadier TPS Rawat, chief engineer of the Border Roads Organisation (BRO), said there had been fresh snowfall in the Banihal and Patnitop sectors of the road during the night which has resulted in slippery conditions.
"The highway has been closed for vehicular traffic to ensure passenger safety. Road clearance operations are going on and we will review the situation as soon as the weather improves," Rawat said.
Authorities have issued an avalanche warning for these areas due to heavy snowfall in the higher reaches.
The weather office has forecast an improvement in weather from Tuesday afternoon.
"The western disturbance is weakening now and we are expecting an improvement in weather from Tuesday afternoon," said Sonam Lotus, director of the met office.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert