Srinagar-Jammu NH closed following fresh snowfall
Srinagar: The Srinagar-Jammu national highway, the only all-weather road linking Kashmir to the rest of the country, was closed for vehicular traffic as the valley including Srinagar experienced fresh snowfall on Wednesday.
"The highway was closed for traffic around 2 pm after heavy snowfall between Qazigund and Banihal rendered the arterial road unsafe," a spokesman of the traffic department said.
He said so far about three inches of snow had accumulated on the ground around Jawahar Tunnel - the gateway to the Kashmir valley - and snowfall was still on.
The snowfall resulted in slippery conditions prompting the authorities to suspend the traffic on the road, he said, adding dozens of Jammu-bound passenger and heavy vehicles were stranded and efforts are on to clear the vehicles.
Earlier this month, traffic on the highway was restricted to one-way following heavy snowfall on New Year Eve and later it was closed for three days.
While higher reaches experienced fresh snowfall since this morning, Srinagar and other parts of the valley received snowfall in late afternoon.
MeT predicted moderate to heavy snowfall in the state due to fresh western disturbance between January 8 and January 10.
"Isolated places may receive very heavy snowfall," Director, Meteorological Department, Sonam Lotus said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged