Srinagar-Jammu NH closed following fresh snowfall
Srinagar: The Srinagar-Jammu national highway, the only all-weather road linking Kashmir to the rest of the country, was closed for vehicular traffic as the valley including Srinagar experienced fresh snowfall on Wednesday.
"The highway was closed for traffic around 2 pm after heavy snowfall between Qazigund and Banihal rendered the arterial road unsafe," a spokesman of the traffic department said.
He said so far about three inches of snow had accumulated on the ground around Jawahar Tunnel - the gateway to the Kashmir valley - and snowfall was still on.
The snowfall resulted in slippery conditions prompting the authorities to suspend the traffic on the road, he said, adding dozens of Jammu-bound passenger and heavy vehicles were stranded and efforts are on to clear the vehicles.
Earlier this month, traffic on the highway was restricted to one-way following heavy snowfall on New Year Eve and later it was closed for three days.
While higher reaches experienced fresh snowfall since this morning, Srinagar and other parts of the valley received snowfall in late afternoon.
MeT predicted moderate to heavy snowfall in the state due to fresh western disturbance between January 8 and January 10.
"Isolated places may receive very heavy snowfall," Director, Meteorological Department, Sonam Lotus said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!