Srinagar-Leh National Highway to open by March 31
Srinagar: The Srinagar-Leh National Highway will be re-opened for vehicular traffic by the end of this month, almost a month ahead of schedule, officials said on Wednesday.
"The Srinagar-Leh National Highway is being opened to vehicular traffic by March 31 -- much earlier as compared to previous years," said a spokesman of Border Roads Organisation which manages the highway.
"Sophisticated machines have been deployed for clearing snow along with experienced engineers and skilled operators and labourers to make the highway suitable for vehicular traffic by the end of this month," he said.
The 434-km highway, the only road linking the frontier region of Ladakh with the rest of the state, remains closed during winter months due to snowfall and snow avalanche in the Zojila area.
Last year, the arterial road was opened on April 26.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi