Srinagar-Leh National Highway to open by March 31
Srinagar: The Srinagar-Leh National Highway will be re-opened for vehicular traffic by the end of this month, almost a month ahead of schedule, officials said on Wednesday.
"The Srinagar-Leh National Highway is being opened to vehicular traffic by March 31 -- much earlier as compared to previous years," said a spokesman of Border Roads Organisation which manages the highway.
"Sophisticated machines have been deployed for clearing snow along with experienced engineers and skilled operators and labourers to make the highway suitable for vehicular traffic by the end of this month," he said.
The 434-km highway, the only road linking the frontier region of Ladakh with the rest of the state, remains closed during winter months due to snowfall and snow avalanche in the Zojila area.
Last year, the arterial road was opened on April 26.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez