Srinagar-Leh National Highway to open by March 31
Srinagar: The Srinagar-Leh National Highway will be re-opened for vehicular traffic by the end of this month, almost a month ahead of schedule, officials said on Wednesday.
"The Srinagar-Leh National Highway is being opened to vehicular traffic by March 31 -- much earlier as compared to previous years," said a spokesman of Border Roads Organisation which manages the highway.
"Sophisticated machines have been deployed for clearing snow along with experienced engineers and skilled operators and labourers to make the highway suitable for vehicular traffic by the end of this month," he said.
The 434-km highway, the only road linking the frontier region of Ladakh with the rest of the state, remains closed during winter months due to snowfall and snow avalanche in the Zojila area.
Last year, the arterial road was opened on April 26.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal