Srinagar-Leh National Highway to open by March 31
Srinagar: The Srinagar-Leh National Highway will be re-opened for vehicular traffic by the end of this month, almost a month ahead of schedule, officials said on Wednesday.
"The Srinagar-Leh National Highway is being opened to vehicular traffic by March 31 -- much earlier as compared to previous years," said a spokesman of Border Roads Organisation which manages the highway.
"Sophisticated machines have been deployed for clearing snow along with experienced engineers and skilled operators and labourers to make the highway suitable for vehicular traffic by the end of this month," he said.
The 434-km highway, the only road linking the frontier region of Ladakh with the rest of the state, remains closed during winter months due to snowfall and snow avalanche in the Zojila area.
Last year, the arterial road was opened on April 26.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Know why sex loses its steam in couples
- Smartphone may reveal your sexual preferences