Srinagar-Muzaffarabad bus service suspended
Srinagar: The weekly bus service between Srinagar and Muzaffarabad was suspended on Thursday while trade across Line of Control (LoC) in Uri sector of Baramulla
district registered the highest turnover of Rs 24.41 crore this week, official sources said.
They said the Srinagar-Muzaffarabad bus service, popularly known as Carvan-e-Aman (peace carvan), was suspended for the week in connection with Muharram, the 10-day mourning period being observed on either side of LoC.
However, the two-day cross-border trade along the LoC in Uri sector this week registered an all-time high turnover of Rs 24.41 crore, surpassing the previous Rs 17.23 crore last
While the traders from this side exported 154 truck loads, mostly containing red chilli, worth Rs 8.91 crore, the traders imported goods worth Rs 15.5 crore in 102 trucks from
Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK), the sources said.
The trade facility centre at Salamabad was abuzz with activity during the trade days on Tuesday and Wednesday, the sources said adding imported goods mostly include dry fruits which are in high demand.
However, the Cross-LoC traders again demanded upgradation of facilities at the earliest as the goods exchanged between the two sides are stored for two to three nights in the open.
The state government has sanctioned Rs 40 crore for upgrading these facilities in Uri and Chakan-da-Bagh in Poonch district but the traders are not satisfied with the pace of
The bus service between the divided parts of Kashmir started in April 2005 while the trade was started in October 2008 as part of Confidence Building Measures between India and Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown