Srinagar records season`s lowest temperature
Srinagar: Cold wave further tightened its grip across Jammu and Kashmir with Srinagar recording season`s lowest night temperature at minus 2.6 degrees Celsius, a MeT Department official said.
The summer capital recorded the season`s coldest night as the mercury fell over two degrees below the freezing point.
The minimum temperature here was three degrees below the normal for this part of the season and it continued to remain below the freezing point for the fourth consecutive day, he said adding that Srinagar had recorded a low of minus 1.5 degrees Celsius the previous night.
Leh, in the frontier region of Ladakh, continues to be the coldest place in the state, he said.
The town, 434 kms from here, recorded a low of minus 11.0 degrees Celsius as compared to yesterday`s minus 11.2 degrees Celsius, he said.
Kargil, also in frontier region of Ladakh, was the second coldest place in the state with a low of minus 6.6 degrees Celsius, over two degrees down from the previous night`s low of minus 4.4 degrees Celsius, the official said.
Pahalgam, a health resort which serves as a base camp during annual Amarnath Yatra in south Kashmir, recorded a low of minus 5.0 degrees Celsius as against yesterday`s minus 3.6 degrees Celsius, he said.
The ski resort of Gulmarg recorded a low of minus 3.0 degrees Celsius, as compared to minus 4.2 degrees Celsius the previous night.
Kupwara also recorded a drop of one degree in the minimum temperature which settled at minus 3.3 degrees Celsius.
Kokernag, hill resort in south Kashmir, was the only place in the Valley where the minimum settled above the freezing point at 0.3 degree Celsius, the official said.
The MeT Department has forecast mainly dry weather across Kashmir division over the next 24 hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'