Srinagar reels under curfew for third day
Srinagar: Curfew continued for the third day in most parts of summer capital Srinagar, as authorities feared sectarian violence after Friday prayers.
Srinagar District Magistrate Basheer Ahmad Khan told reporters that curfew would continue in nine police station areas on Friday. The curfew was imposed on Wednesday.
The district magistrate said authorities would review the situation in the evening to make a decision on the future course of action.
Sectarian clashes between Shia and Sunni Muslims erupted in Hawal area of the old city on Wednesday evening, and police intervention triggered clashes between protesters and security men.
Curfew will continue on Friday in Lal Bazar, Zadibal, Nigeen, Nowhatta, Khanyar, Rainawari, MR Gunj, Safakadal and Parimpora police station areas.
Main roads in these areas have been blocked off, with vehicles of security forces parked across roads. Coils of concertina wire have also been used to block thoroughfare.
Police and Central Reserve Police Force personnel have been deployed even in areas in the city not under curfew.
Senior separatist leaders, Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, Syed Ali Geelani, Shabir Shah and Muhammad Yasin Malik have appealed to the people to maintain calm and not to fall prey to anti-social elements.
Educational institutions, government offices, banks, post offices, public transport, shops and other business establishments will not function in areas under curfew on Friday.
Kashmir University has put off all examinations scheduled for Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand