Srinagar`s night temperature rises
Srinagar: For the first time in 40 days, the minimum temperature in Srinagar rose above the freezing point early Friday even as the weather office forecast moderate to heavy snowfall in the valley.
"After 40 days, the minimum temperature rose above the freezing point in Srinagar. The minimum temperature was two degrees Celsius," Sonam Lotus, director of the meteorological office here, told a news agency.
"Moderate to heavy snowfall is likely to occur in Kashmir Saturday and Sunday. The weather disturbance will continue till Feb 7," he added.
The minimum temperature was well below the freezing point at 2.8 in Pahalgam and minus 5.6 in Gulmarg. Leh at minus 13.2 and Kargil at minus 15.6 degrees Celsius continued to be in the grip of severe cold.
In view of the adverse weather forecast, authorities have decided to restrict vehicular movement on the Srinagar-Jammu highway on Feb 4 and 5.
The provincial administration has instructed the traffic authorities to ensure that traffic does not move on the highway during the expected heavy snowfall in the Pir Panjal mountain range to prevent any mishap. Landslides are common in this stretch of the highway.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened