SSP, Samba shunted out over graft charges after protests
Jammu: The Senior Superintendent of
Police (SSP) of Samba was on Tuesday shunted out over "serious"
charges of corruption, a day after the district witnessed
violent protests over alleged collusion of police officials
and a gang of cattle lifters.
"SSP, Samba, Ragubir Singh Salathia has been removed
from his post of district police chief following serious
charges of corruption and he was attached by the state
government," political advisor to Chief Minister Divender Rana
23 people including 16 police personnel were injured
yesterday when protesters, including BJP and Shiv Sena
activists, who blocked the J&K highway and torched two trucks
clashed with the police. They were protesting against alleged
involvement of police in cattle smuggling in Jammu and
Kashmir`s Samba district, 50 kms from here.
"SSP Police Control Room (PCR), J L Sharma has been
posted as new district police chief Samba," Rana, who along
with state minister for Industries and Commerce Surjeet
Salathia held deliberation with agitating people last night,
A probe into the charges of corruption against SSP has
been ordered by the state government.
The divisional administration also ordered probe into
the alleged cattle smuggling racket.
Rana said that the situation was under control and
"tension has subsided in the district after our assurances.
"People will not be allowed to take the law into their
hands and anybody found doing so will also be dealt with
sternly," he said.
The protests erupted after residents nabbed a member
of a gang allegedly involved in cattle lifting in Kali Mandi
area of Samba last night.
The man identified as Mukhtiyar Ahmed claimed that his
gang was carrying out activities in connivance with police
officials in the district.
The villagers, after holding Ahmed captive, blocked
the highway, disrupting traffic, and demanded stern action
against the SSP and the SHO.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?