State-wide strike called by J&K Bar Association on May 10
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir High Court Bar Association (JKHCBA) on Saturday called for a state-wide strike on Monday, coinciding with the opening of Civil Secretariat and ther move offices here after six months.
"We appeal people to observe a complete strike on May 10
to protest collapse of judiciary, maltreatment metted out to
political prisoners in and outside jails and veiled attempts
to change the demographic position and identity of the state,"
JKHCBA President Mian Abdul Qayoom told reporters here.
Questioning role of Judiciary in the state, Qayoom who was
flanked by presidents of all district Bar Associations, said
"the judges posted in the high court and its subordinate
courts have made mokery of the justice system."
"They have failed to deliver justice to political prisoners
who are languishing in jails for years together," he said.
He referred to detention of senior separatist leaders
like Shabir Ahmad Shah, Masarat Aalam, Mohammad Qasim Faktoo,
Nayeem Ahmad Khan, Ghulam Nabi Sumji, Mohammad Yosuf Mir and
Bilal Sidique under Public Safety Act (PSA) in this context.
He said the PSA was promulgated by Sheikh Mohammad
Abdullah led National Conference government in 1978 with a
pledge that it would be used to check timber smuggling.
"During the last 20 years (of turmoil), over 50,000 people
were booked under the PSA which is being misued in the state,"
He also questioned police role while seeking remand of
the arrested persons. "Instead of producing the arrested
person before the judicial magistrate for remand,police
secretly seek the remand from executive magistrates who have
no authority," the JKHCBA president said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- SC asks Haryana Police to finish AIPMT paper leak probe