State-wide strike called by J&K Bar Association on May 10
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir High Court Bar Association (JKHCBA) on Saturday called for a state-wide strike on Monday, coinciding with the opening of Civil Secretariat and ther move offices here after six months.
"We appeal people to observe a complete strike on May 10
to protest collapse of judiciary, maltreatment metted out to
political prisoners in and outside jails and veiled attempts
to change the demographic position and identity of the state,"
JKHCBA President Mian Abdul Qayoom told reporters here.
Questioning role of Judiciary in the state, Qayoom who was
flanked by presidents of all district Bar Associations, said
"the judges posted in the high court and its subordinate
courts have made mokery of the justice system."
"They have failed to deliver justice to political prisoners
who are languishing in jails for years together," he said.
He referred to detention of senior separatist leaders
like Shabir Ahmad Shah, Masarat Aalam, Mohammad Qasim Faktoo,
Nayeem Ahmad Khan, Ghulam Nabi Sumji, Mohammad Yosuf Mir and
Bilal Sidique under Public Safety Act (PSA) in this context.
He said the PSA was promulgated by Sheikh Mohammad
Abdullah led National Conference government in 1978 with a
pledge that it would be used to check timber smuggling.
"During the last 20 years (of turmoil), over 50,000 people
were booked under the PSA which is being misued in the state,"
He also questioned police role while seeking remand of
the arrested persons. "Instead of producing the arrested
person before the judicial magistrate for remand,police
secretly seek the remand from executive magistrates who have
no authority," the JKHCBA president said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof