State-wide strike called by J&K Bar Association on May 10
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir High Court Bar Association (JKHCBA) on Saturday called for a state-wide strike on Monday, coinciding with the opening of Civil Secretariat and ther move offices here after six months.
"We appeal people to observe a complete strike on May 10
to protest collapse of judiciary, maltreatment metted out to
political prisoners in and outside jails and veiled attempts
to change the demographic position and identity of the state,"
JKHCBA President Mian Abdul Qayoom told reporters here.
Questioning role of Judiciary in the state, Qayoom who was
flanked by presidents of all district Bar Associations, said
"the judges posted in the high court and its subordinate
courts have made mokery of the justice system."
"They have failed to deliver justice to political prisoners
who are languishing in jails for years together," he said.
He referred to detention of senior separatist leaders
like Shabir Ahmad Shah, Masarat Aalam, Mohammad Qasim Faktoo,
Nayeem Ahmad Khan, Ghulam Nabi Sumji, Mohammad Yosuf Mir and
Bilal Sidique under Public Safety Act (PSA) in this context.
He said the PSA was promulgated by Sheikh Mohammad
Abdullah led National Conference government in 1978 with a
pledge that it would be used to check timber smuggling.
"During the last 20 years (of turmoil), over 50,000 people
were booked under the PSA which is being misued in the state,"
He also questioned police role while seeking remand of
the arrested persons. "Instead of producing the arrested
person before the judicial magistrate for remand,police
secretly seek the remand from executive magistrates who have
no authority," the JKHCBA president said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt