Stopping of BJP Ekta Yatra: NHRC proceedings stayed
Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir High Court on Thursday stayed proceedings of National Human Rights Commission in the complaint filed by BJP MP over the state government`s decision to stop the `Ekta Yatra` last year.
Justice Muzaffar Hussain Attar granted stay on the NHRC proceedings in the case after the state government filed a petition against it, state Advocate General Mohammad Ishaq Qadri stay.
The court issued notices to NHRC and BJP MP Anurag Thakur to file objections to the state petition within four weeks, he said.
He said the state government has challenged the jurisdiction of the NHRC in the matter as the case was already listed before a bench of the state High Court in Jammu.
BJP leader Chaman Lal Gupta has filed a petition in the high court against the stopping of the Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha (BJYM)-organised `Ekta Yatra` at Lakhanpur, the entry point to Jammu and Kashmir.
The NHRC, on May 1, had pulled up the state government for disallowing BJP leaders Sushma Swaraj, Arun Jaitley, Ananth Kumar and a host of party supporters from hoisting the national flag in Srinagar`s Lal Chowk on Republic Day last year.
"Every citizen enjoys the fundamental right to go to J&K and hoist the national flag in Srinagar on Republic Day. This right is guaranteed by Article 19 of the Constitution, "NHRC had said.
The BJP leaders were detained at Jammu airport when their chartered flight landed there on the eve of Republic Day. They were to proceed by road to Srinagar to hoist the Tri-colour the next day.
However, the BJP leaders were detained and escorted out of Jammu and released in Madhopur in Punjab.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read