Stranded passengers throng Jammu airport
Jammu: With the Jammu-Srinagar highway cut off due to snow, hundreds thronged the airport here on Wednesday desperately seeking to fly to the Kashmir Valley, leading to chaotic scenes.
The highway has been closed since Sunday morning.
Shamim Ahmad is one of many who has been visiting the airport for three days, begging for a ticket to reach Srinagar. But no ticket is available.
Officials of Air India, which is operating extra flights to help the stranded passengers, are a harassed lot.
"The weather is not clearing up in Delhi and the flights have got delayed. What can we do? We want to help people but the weather is not helping us," an airlines official said.
Aircraft which fly between Jammu and Srinagar come from Delhi.
But passengers didn`t trust the airline officials. "The VIPs are coming and going but the commoners have no access to tickets," moaned Javed Ahmad Malik, a shopkeeper from Srinagar.
Official sources said the VIPs were just trying their luck as well.
Jammu and Kashmir Deputy Chief Minister Tara Chand told reporters: "Such a situation is not uncommon during winters. Snowfall and landslides close the highway and the people get stranded. We are also working for the early opening of the highway."
The government has set up free kitchens for passengers at the General Bus Stand here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!