Strike affects normal life in Kashmir
Srinagar: Normal life in Kashmir was affected today due to a strike called by hardline Hurriyat Conference to protest the state government`s move to shift prison inmates from the Valley to outside jails.
Shops, banks and other business and commercial establishments remained closed due to the strike called by Hurriyat Chairman Syed Ali Shah Geelani.
Transport services were also severely affected with public transport remaining off the roads. However, private vehicles could be seen plying the roads in the summer capital Srinagar and other parts of the Valley.
Geelani-led Hurriyat had called for the strike today against the shifting of detainees to jails outside the Valley.
"The shifting of the detainees is a practice in pure vengeance and done just to harass the people of Kashmir. We cannot sit silent, therefore, the strike shall be held on February seven and before that thse protest shall be staged on February 3," Geelani had said in a statement last week.
Lashing out at authorities for the move, he said shifting of the inmates to outside jails was a violation of the Supreme Court guidelines on the matter which provide for lodging them in jails in their home district.
"According to the Supreme Court ruling, the prisoners are to be kept in the jails closest to their residence so that they could meet their kin. But here the rules are violated to harass people," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'