Strike evokes mix response in Kashmir Valley
Srinagar: A strike called by a group of separatists demanding return of bodies of Parliament attack convict Mohammad Afzal Guru and JKLF founder Mohammad Maqbool Bhat on Wednesday evoked mixed response in the Kashmir Valley.
While most of the shops and business establishments in the commercial hub of Lal Chowk remained closed, they were open in most areas of the Valley.
Though public transport remained off the roads in most of the major towns, it plied in Lal Chowk and the adjoining areas. Private cars were plying normally on all the major routes.
In the suburbs and other districts of the Valley, life was near normal as the strike call by Majlis Mashawarat (Consultation Committee), of the separatist group, failed to evoke much of a response in these areas.
Government offices and banks remained open, while most of the educational institutions functioned normally.
The Majlis, which has both factions of Hurriyat Conference, JKLF, Kashmir Bar Association and Dukhtaran-e-Millat as constituents, had called for a complete shutdown in the Valley and also issued a weekly protest calendar on Sunday.
The Majlis was formed in the wake of Guru`s execution inside Tihar Jail on February 9. The main demand of the Majlis is to seek return of mortal remains of Guru and Bhat.
Bhat was hanged and buried inside the Tihar Jail on February 11, 1984, after he was convicted for murdering a police officer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick