Student hangs self over obscene Facebook comments
Jalandhar: A young woman from Jammu committed suicide in her college`s hostel room here after two boys allegedly posted obscene comments on her Facebook page, police said on Thursday.
Two youngsters named in the woman`s suicide note have been arrested.
Raksha Sharma, 20, was found hanging from the ceiling fan in her room here Tuesday night.
Raksha, whose parents were killed by militants in Jammu and Kashmir, was sent here to study by an orphanage in Jammu. She was pursuing a computer course at Mehar Chand Polytechnic for two years.
Police station chief Balbir Singh said they had recovered a hand-written suicide note from Raksha`s room in which she blamed two boys -- Lovepreeet and Deepak Saini -- for her death.
She wrote in the note that these two youths had posted obscene comments on her Facebook page and due to this, she was unable to go to college or face anyone. She said both the youths should be punished for their actions.
Singh said the youths have been arrested and their computers seized.
Lovepreet was a friend of Raksha and they often exchanged SMSes, the official said.
"We will go through their Facebook accounts and their computers and see if they drove the girl to suicide," Singh said.
Police have booked them for abetment to suicide.
However, the youths said they had nothing to do with the obscene comments. One of them said the woman too used to write obscene comments.
Raksha`s parents were shot dead by militants in Doda in Jammu and Kashmir in 1997. She was living with her siblings in an orphanage in Jammu before coming to Jalandhar to study.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi