Student killed during Army`s operation in Kupwara
Srinagar: A student was killed during an
ambush operation of the Army in north Kashmir`s Kupwara
district, triggering protests by locals.
Manzoor Ahmad Magray, 22, was shot dead by the
troopers of 4 Para of the Army, who had laid an ambush in
Chogal area of Handwara town, 85 kms from here, in Kupwara
While regretting the loss of life in the operation,
Defence Spokesman Lt Col J S Brar said in a statement here
that based on specific intelligence about movement of
militants, Army troops had laid an ambush last night to trap
At around 2230 hours, the troops detected suspicious
movement of two persons towards the ambush. "In accordance
with the Standing Operative Procedures, the troops challenged
the individuals to surrender. Both the individuals paid no
heed to the challenge by the troops and attempted to run away
in the cover of darkness, on which the troops opened firing
resulting in fatal injuries to Manzoor Ahmad Magray while the
other unidentified person escaped."
Although the troops strictly adhered to the
challenging procedures as per the Rules of Engagement, the
Army regrets the loss of life, more so, as the year has been
declared by the Army as the year of the `Kashmiri Awam`, he
"We deeply and sincerely express our heartfelt
condolences to the bereaved family on this incident," he said.
The killing of Magray led to protests in Chogal as the
residents demanded arrest of the Army personnel involved in
the killing, the sources said.
Protests were going on in the area till last reports
This is second incident of a civilian getting killed
in Kupwara district in as many months. An unidentified youth
was allegedly shot dead by security forces at Warnaw in Lolab
area of Kupwara on January 4.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: Is Sanskrit language losing its importance in India?
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them