Student killed for ransom in Jammu; 2 held
Jammu: A class V student was kidnapped and
killed for Rs 5 lakh ransom in the first such case in Jammu
province, a senior police officer said here on Saturday.
Shalin Gupta, who hailed from Nai Basti area and was a
student of Air Force School, was kidnapped allegedly by two
persons from a video parlour on the pretext of taking him for
a ride on a motorcycle last evening.
"The accused then made a ransom call from a PCO to his
father Naresh Gupta, a businessman, demanding Rs 5 lakh for
his release," DIG Jammu-Kathua range Farooq Khan told
The two youths had allegedly taken the student to
Belicharana area, on the outskirts of the city, but killed him
with a dagger when he resisted going along with them, he said.
Following leads provided by the PCO owner from where the
ransom call was made, police arrested the two youths
identified as Gharandeep Singh and Devinder Singh.
Describing the incident as the first such case in Jammu
province, the DIG said a case has been registered in this
connection and probe was on to ascertain the involvement of
others in the crime.
Both the accused are unemployed and it seems they wanted
to make quick money by kidnapping the boy of a rich family, he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof