Student killed for ransom in Jammu; 2 held
Jammu: A class V student was kidnapped and
killed for Rs 5 lakh ransom in the first such case in Jammu
province, a senior police officer said here on Saturday.
Shalin Gupta, who hailed from Nai Basti area and was a
student of Air Force School, was kidnapped allegedly by two
persons from a video parlour on the pretext of taking him for
a ride on a motorcycle last evening.
"The accused then made a ransom call from a PCO to his
father Naresh Gupta, a businessman, demanding Rs 5 lakh for
his release," DIG Jammu-Kathua range Farooq Khan told
The two youths had allegedly taken the student to
Belicharana area, on the outskirts of the city, but killed him
with a dagger when he resisted going along with them, he said.
Following leads provided by the PCO owner from where the
ransom call was made, police arrested the two youths
identified as Gharandeep Singh and Devinder Singh.
Describing the incident as the first such case in Jammu
province, the DIG said a case has been registered in this
connection and probe was on to ascertain the involvement of
others in the crime.
Both the accused are unemployed and it seems they wanted
to make quick money by kidnapping the boy of a rich family, he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!