Student killed for ransom in Jammu; 2 held
Jammu: A class V student was kidnapped and
killed for Rs 5 lakh ransom in the first such case in Jammu
province, a senior police officer said here on Saturday.
Shalin Gupta, who hailed from Nai Basti area and was a
student of Air Force School, was kidnapped allegedly by two
persons from a video parlour on the pretext of taking him for
a ride on a motorcycle last evening.
"The accused then made a ransom call from a PCO to his
father Naresh Gupta, a businessman, demanding Rs 5 lakh for
his release," DIG Jammu-Kathua range Farooq Khan told
The two youths had allegedly taken the student to
Belicharana area, on the outskirts of the city, but killed him
with a dagger when he resisted going along with them, he said.
Following leads provided by the PCO owner from where the
ransom call was made, police arrested the two youths
identified as Gharandeep Singh and Devinder Singh.
Describing the incident as the first such case in Jammu
province, the DIG said a case has been registered in this
connection and probe was on to ascertain the involvement of
others in the crime.
Both the accused are unemployed and it seems they wanted
to make quick money by kidnapping the boy of a rich family, he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?