Student killing: Omar takes on CISF
Jammu: After a peaceful 2011, the start of 2012 has again spelled trouble for the Omar Abdullah government in Jammu and Kashmir.
On Monday, a student protesting power shortage at Boniyar village in Baramulla district was killed in firing by the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF). A day later, the Chief Minister travelled to the hotspot of the agitation to soothe nerves.
While promising to look into power crisis in the state, Omar described the incident as “excessive use of force by the CISF”.
After meeting the family of the victim, Omar described the student’s death a murder, saying the central paramilitary force’s use of force is inexcusable. It was not a case of self defence, he added.
The state government has already written to the Union Home Ministry, complaining about CISF’s actions.
Class 12 student Altaf Ahmad Sood was killed and two other civilians were injured on Monday afternoon when CISF troopers allegedly opened fire on demonstrators protesting power shortage in their village in North Kashmir. The Valley is facing acute power shortage.
Soon after the incident, Omar had sent his two ministers and top police officers to Boniyar, 60 km from Srinagar.
According to official sources, the CM himself flew to the village this morning to be with the people at this hour, understand the sequence of events that led to the tragic incident and the action taken by the law and order authorities.
Five CISF troopers have already been arrested on charges of murder, according to Minister of State for Home Nasir Aslam Wani.
The Chief Minister is also due to hold a meeting in Srinagar to assess the possible fallout of the incident, the attempts by separatists and others to exploit the same for causing more trouble and the measures needed to maintain peace, sources said.
"Law of the land will take its course," the CM had told officers in a meeting late Monday night, according to sources.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah