Students clash with police over recruitment policy
Jammu: Six persons, including two cops, were
on Wednesday injured and several others were detained as students
protesting against Jammu and Kashmir government`s new
recruitment policy clashed with police.
The agitators, who were demanding that the policy under
which a fresh recruit would only get 50 per cent of the basic
pay for the first two years and 75 per cent for the next three
years without any allowances be scrapped, held protest
rallies in Jammu and Udhampur districts.
Shouting anti-government slogans, students of GGM
Science College led by ABVP leader Ragav Sharma breached a
barricade in Jammu city and clashed with police, which
resorted to lathicharge to disperse the mob.
A protester and a policeman were injured in the process,
An ABVP leader was also detained but was later released,
Nawabad SHO Ajay Bhat said.
The students and ABVP activists also assembled near Jammu
University and held demonstrations against the new recruitment
policy, blocking a road.
Police resorted to cane-charge and dispersed the
protesting students in which a cop was among 2 persons
"This recruitment policy is against the interest of the
youth of the state. It is discriminatory," Sharma alleged and
demanded that it be immediately revoked.
Demonstrations were also held in Udhampur town, where two
persons were injured in a clash between police and students.
Jammu and Kashmir National Panthers Party (JKNPP) MLA
Balwant Singh Mankotia, who led the demonstration, condemned
the lathicharge and said the protest will continue till the
Cabinet direction on recruitment policy was not revoked.
Condemning the lathicharge, CPI-M State Secretary and
Kulgam MLA M Y Tarigami said, "The policy is unjustified...The
government should reconsider the decision and revoke it."
J&K BJP chief spokesperson and National Executive member
Jitendra Singh also condemned the police action and said the
decision will alienate the youth.
Youth Democratic Front too held protests against the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!