Students take out candlelight march for Kargil War heroes
Jammu: Hundreds of students on Friday took out a candlelight march in the city, paying tribute to soldiers who laid their lives for the country in the Kargil War.
Over 300 students assembled at Jammu University and took out the candle light march to commemorate the heroism of the soldiers martyred in the Kargil war 13 years ago.
The candle march was concluded at Balidaan Situmbh where they paid floral tribes to Kargil war heroes.
"We held the candlelight march to pay tributes to our Kargil heroes who laid down their lives for the country," a candle light marcher Arun Singh said.
The Indian Army in its full military grandeur had observed two-day celebrations of the 13th anniversary of its victory in the 1999 Kargil war with the hoisting of a massive national flag at the War Memorial in Drass sub-sector of the district.
The Kargil war, which began in May 1999, lasted more than two months before Pakistani soldiers withdrew from the mountain tops they had occupied overlooking the Srinagar-Leh highway.
In the battle with Pakistani forces, the Army lost nearly 527 officers, soldiers and jawans, many of whom were posthumously given gallantry awards.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!