Students take out candlelight march for Kargil War heroes
Jammu: Hundreds of students on Friday took out a candlelight march in the city, paying tribute to soldiers who laid their lives for the country in the Kargil War.
Over 300 students assembled at Jammu University and took out the candle light march to commemorate the heroism of the soldiers martyred in the Kargil war 13 years ago.
The candle march was concluded at Balidaan Situmbh where they paid floral tribes to Kargil war heroes.
"We held the candlelight march to pay tributes to our Kargil heroes who laid down their lives for the country," a candle light marcher Arun Singh said.
The Indian Army in its full military grandeur had observed two-day celebrations of the 13th anniversary of its victory in the 1999 Kargil war with the hoisting of a massive national flag at the War Memorial in Drass sub-sector of the district.
The Kargil war, which began in May 1999, lasted more than two months before Pakistani soldiers withdrew from the mountain tops they had occupied overlooking the Srinagar-Leh highway.
In the battle with Pakistani forces, the Army lost nearly 527 officers, soldiers and jawans, many of whom were posthumously given gallantry awards.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days