Study of Mughal road tunnel in progress: J&K govt
Jammu: The Jammu and Kashmir Government on Monday said that a proposed tunnel on the Mughal Road between Zaznar and Chattapani to keep the road open round the year, was under survey.
"A tunnel is proposed on the 84-km Bafliaz-Shopain road between Zaznar and Chattapani to keep the road open round the year. The seven-km long tunnel will reduce the distance by 10 kms and pre-feasibility survey of the tunnel is in progress," Minister for Roads and Buildings, Abdul Majeed Wani, said in the Legislative Council here.
He was replying on a Private Members Resolution moved by Panthers Party MLC, Syed Rafiq Ahmad Shah, regarding the road connectivity and development of tunnels on Mughal road, Tanghdar-Chowkibal and Bandipora-Lolab roads.
Regarding the construction of a tunnel on Kupwara-Tangdar road, the Minister said Border Roads Organisation (BRO) has initiated the feasibility study.
He added that the proposed tunnel, once completed, will reduce 24 kms of road distance besides keeping the road open round the year.
Wani said the road is avalanche prone and BRO has taken the matter with Snow Avalanche Study Centre to get the feasibility report.
The Minister also said the government has proposed to construct Lolab-Bandipora road but due to involvement of major forest land, the matter has been taken up with the Centre for construction of a tunnel to avoid forest land interference and cutting of trees.
Rafiq Shah, later on the assurance of the Minister withdrew his resolution.
Earlier, Wani informed the House that work on historical Mughal road, which was started in 2006, is expected to be completed this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video