Sufi appointed first Kashmir information commissioner
Jammu: GR Sufi, an income tax officer, has been appointed Jammu and Kashmir`s first Chief Information Commissioner.
Official sources said the state government received the file of Sufi`s appointment, duly signed by the Governor, who is the appointing authority, late Wednesday evening.
"With this, Sufi stands appointed as the Chief Information Commissioner of the state information commission," an official told a news agency.
The appointment of Sufi, whose name was cleared by a panel headed by Chief Minister Omar Abdullah Jan 27, ran into some problems as the file earlier did not have a clearance letter from the Central Vigilance Commission (CVC).
It was mandatory as Sufi is a serving officer of the central government.
Despite the appointment, it is not clear as to when Sufi will join his new assignment as he retires from service in April.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown