Sufi appointed first Kashmir information commissioner
Jammu: GR Sufi, an income tax officer, has been appointed Jammu and Kashmir`s first Chief Information Commissioner.
Official sources said the state government received the file of Sufi`s appointment, duly signed by the Governor, who is the appointing authority, late Wednesday evening.
"With this, Sufi stands appointed as the Chief Information Commissioner of the state information commission," an official told a news agency.
The appointment of Sufi, whose name was cleared by a panel headed by Chief Minister Omar Abdullah Jan 27, ran into some problems as the file earlier did not have a clearance letter from the Central Vigilance Commission (CVC).
It was mandatory as Sufi is a serving officer of the central government.
Despite the appointment, it is not clear as to when Sufi will join his new assignment as he retires from service in April.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre