Suggestions to give more powers to J&K unfortunate: BJP
Dehradun: BJP on Wednesday described as "very
unfortunate" the reported suggestions made by central
interlocutors that additional powers be given to Jammu and
"It is very unfortunate that the interlocutors instead
of suggesting steps for greater integration of Jammu & Kashmir
with the rest of the country are making suggestions of giving
additional powers to that state to assert its independent
character," BJP`s national spokesperson Tarun Vijay told
In this regard, he said the people of Jammu and Kashmir
have repeatedly demonstrated that they stand for closer links
with rest of the country by rejecting the poll boycott calls
"This report by the interlocutors, coming in the
backdrop of overwhelming voter turnout in the panchayat polls
is very unfortunate," Vijay, also a Rajya Sabha MP, said.
The interlocutors favour a political solution that
"upholds and fine-tunes the special status of Jammu and
Kashmir under Article 370 (of the Constitution), which means
giving additional powers to the state so it can assert its
independent character," a newspaper report quoted Dileep
Padgaonkar, who heads the three-member team of interlocutors,
The BJP leader said the party stands for establishing
deeper linkages between J&K and rest of the country.
Vijay alleged that successive governments in J&K had
followed the policy of separate status for the state which
fuelled the movement of separatism.
He said the party demanded the abrogation of Article 370
and asserted the centre should take steps for restoring a
conducive environment for return of Kashmiri Pandits.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what