Summoning former Army chief will serve no purpose: Soz
Srinagar: Disapproving of the move to summon former Army chief VK Singh before the legislative council privileges committee, Jammu and Kashmir Congress chief Saifuddin Soz on Sunday said it would not serve any purpose and he should be given "some respect" for the position he held.
He said there are courts to go into allegations against Singh.
"It is my personal opinion that the (former) General should not have been called as it would not serve anything. We should give some respect to someone who has been the chief of armed forces. Whatever he said, he denied that and what use it is now to summon him," Soz told reporters here.
VK Singh had failed to appear on January 9 before the committee and his lawyer had said that he would comply with the fresh summons issued for January 22 in connection with his alleged remarks that army was paying money to politicians in the state.
"There is a privilege committee and then there are courts to see how far his allegations were true. The general has always been controversial and still is, I have not praised him but said that summoning him would serve a vicarious pleasure (only)," he said.
Soz was interacting with reporters here on the sidelines of a function organised to welcome some prominent personalities into the party fold.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Lionel Messi retirement: Argentine president, Diego Maradona ask him not to quit
- Global stocks extend losses, sterling near 30-year lows in Brexit aftermath
- Gunbattle breaks out between security forces, militants in J&K's Kupwara
- American Senator wants US to stop issuing visas to Indians
- Kareena Kapoor Khan looks unapologetically sexy on the cover of Vogue India – See pic