Supporters of Hurriyat leaders Shah, Bhat clash
Srinagar: The rumblings within the moderate faction of Hurriyat Conference came out in the open on Sunday as supporters of Shabir Ahmad Shah clashed with those of former chairman Abdul Gani Bhat.
Clashes broke out at the function of Hurriyat Conference at Rajbagh headquarters as Shah and his supporters lamented that no explanation was sought from Bhat for violating the Hurriyat constitution, sources in the amalgam said.
They said the rival supporters hurled furniture at each other, but no one was injured in the clashes.
Bhat, earlier this month, had said the United Nations resolutions on Kashmir were not practicable in the present geo-political scenario.
The statement had drawn widespread criticism within and outside the moderate amalgam as Bhat was accused of preparing for contesting the 2014 Assembly elections.
Shah said it was strange that the issue has not been even discussed within the forum. He was expelled from Hurriyat in 2002 for holding talks with KC Pant in violation of the Hurriyat whip. Shah was later reinstated in 2008.
Former Hurriyat Chairman Maulana Abbas Ansari sought to play down the clashes, saying such incidents take place in every democratic institution.
"Such things happen in the assembly and parliament also but that does not bring it down. However, the Hurriyat leaders should not take internal differences to public domain," Ansari said.
Hurriyat Chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq was not present at the function as he is placed under house arrest.
Hurriyat is observing "martyrdom week" to commemorate the 21st death anniversary of Maulana Mohammad Farooq and 10th death anniversary of Abdul Gani Lone. Both the separatist leaders were killed by militants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH